PDA

View Full Version : VVL Connect to Radio Problem

Dave
03-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi All,
I have been using FSCopilot/FSInn since 2007 with no problems!
Recently I had to reformat C: and reinstall FSCopilot/FSInn. The Beta Version.
All works fine until I connect to VVL. I am not getting the three green horizontal bars. (Connection Status) I only get the middle bar which is blue or purple? and placing the cursor on it; it states "Pending"
I click on the bar with no results. I have found no info in the FSInn manual on how to resolve this situation. Thru the Text screen I found I can transmit to ATC but when they try to talk to me, no receiving voice.
What can I do to activate the connection so that I can get back the 3 green bars and the channel priority vertical bar?

Any asistance will be appreciated. I am running FS9 with Win XP Home Edition.

Thanks,
Dave Howell Vatsim ID 1037923
Pilot Westwind VA
WWA2224

L. D. James
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi All,
I have been using FSCopilot/FSInn since 2007 with no problems!
Recently I had to reformat C: and reinstall FSCopilot/FSInn. The Beta Version.
All works fine until I connect to VVL. I am not getting the three green horizontal bars. (Connection Status) I only get the middle bar which is blue or purple? and placing the cursor on it; it states "Pending"
I click on the bar with no results. I have found no info in the FSInn manual on how to resolve this situation. Thru the Text screen I found I can transmit to ATC but when they try to talk to me, no receiving voice.
What can I do to activate the connection so that I can get back the 3 green bars and the channel priority vertical bar?

Any asistance will be appreciated. I am running FS9 with Win XP Home Edition.

Thanks,
Dave Howell Vatsim ID 1037923
Pilot Westwind VA
WWA2224

Hi, Dave. Check your Firewall as per the FAQ on our opening page. The most likely culprit is referenced in FAQ question #13. It's actually the last part of the FAQ question #4 ("Why am I having connection issues?").

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi
I disabled windows and Mcafee firewalls but no luck. Also I'm new to this site. Went to FAQ but could find no search option to find FAQ 4 or 13??? I also have Microsoft Speech Recognition 5.1 installed. Will this affect VVL Comm setup?

Thanks,
DaveH

L. D. James
03-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi
I disabled windows and Mcafee firewalls but no luck. Also I'm new to this site. Went to FAQ but could find no search option to find FAQ 4 or 13??? I also have Microsoft Speech Recognition 5.1 installed. Will this affect VVL Comm setup?

Thanks,
DaveH

Sorry, Dave. I should have specified witch FAQ and it's location. I was speaking of the FSInn/VATSIM FAQ located on the front page of http://flightsim.apollo3.com . You'll find the questions #4 and 13 there. FAQ #13 explains the only sure way to disable a third party firewall/antivirus program.

Problems with third party firewall/antivirus programs are very common in the Flight Simulator online community.

By the way, the FAQ you were looking at was most likely the forum's FAQ for how to use this forum.

The Microsoft Speech program won't affect the setup. Everything relevant is included in the FAQ.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Hi,
Disabled Att McAfee Firewall and activated Windows Firewall.
All Vol tabs are set and I did a hardware test, Mike and Earphones are good; The FSFDT connection for comm is "Green". I disabled Virus program but still getting "Pending".
Currently I am texting to the FSInn site but no luck yet.
If someone could tell me what the "Pending" means then maybe I would know how to resolve the VVL comm problem.
IAW the FSInn manual Vatsim Voice (VVL) is suposed to automatically connect to Vatsim; this it is not doing, unless I am wrong?!

Thanks.
DaveH
Pilot

L. D. James
03-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Hi,
Disabled Att McAfee Firewall and activated Windows Firewall.
All Vol tabs are set and I did a hardware test, Mike and Earphones are good; The FSFDT connection for comm is "Green". I disabled Virus program but still getting "Pending".
Currently I am texting to the FSInn site but no luck yet.
If someone could tell me what the "Pending" means then maybe I would know how to resolve the VVL comm problem.
IAW the FSInn manual Vatsim Voice (VVL) is suposed to automatically connect to Vatsim; this it is not doing, unless I am wrong?!

Thanks.
DaveH
Pilot

Hi, Dave. The pending is letting you know that they application is working. It's similar to the hour glass you see when Microsoft Windows is busy. If there weren't problems the pending notice would flash so quickly that you never know it ever came.

You can resolve this by following the steps provided in FAQ question #13. It mentions only one sure way of having the third party firewall/antivirus disabled. It also describes that telling the third party firewall/antivirus to be disabled doesn't always work. Actually is almost never works. The application sometimes says it's disabled and gives you some notice that it's disabled but it really isn't. Many of them, as long as they are installed, they are busy controlling your network flow and other components of your system's operation whether they say they are doing it or not.

Follow closely everything in the FAQ question #13 and you shouldn't have any problems.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Hi,
Update: I removed the SBC/McAfee antivirus/firewall and disabled Windows just to check; no luck still getting the pending notice; I even restarted the computer. I can fly on Vatsim with text OK but I would like to talk to ATC, when available, but if there is no resolution I guess it will have to be text mode...:(
Just a thought, I have been using the two programs installed in 2007 but now the two Beta versions were installed? Any chance this is the problem?
Is there any other voice I can use with ATC under Vatsim?
DaveH

Dave
03-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Hi L.D.:
Please let me know if there is no resolution to the VVL problem I am having so that I can quit looking or bugging other boards like Vatsim. I thought for sure you guys or Vatsim forum could help me but I have tried all suggestions and no luck, Comm1 connection still comes up pending even after I did a uninstall/install for FSCopilot and FSInn..!!

Last thought; do you guys have a software program which I can run against FSInn to find the problem?

Thanks,

Dave Howell

L. D. James
03-24-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi,
Update: I removed the SBC/McAfee antivirus/firewall and disabled Windows just to check; no luck still getting the pending notice; I even restarted the computer. I can fly on Vatsim with text OK but I would like to talk to ATC, when available, but if there is no resolution I guess it will have to be text mode...:(
Just a thought, I have been using the two programs installed in 2007 but now the two Beta versions were installed? Any chance this is the problem?
Is there any other voice I can use with ATC under Vatsim?
DaveH

Try reinstalling and following very closely the steps provided in the Quick Install like on the from page of http://flightsim.apollo3.com . If there aren't any connection blocks it should come up and work perfect. If it doesn't knowing the exact steps followed will enhance being able to identify what's going wrong.

Hi L.D.:
Please let me know if there is no resolution to the VVL problem I am having so that I can quit looking or bugging other boards like Vatsim. I thought for sure you guys or Vatsim forum could help me but I have tried all suggestions and no luck, Comm1 connection still comes up pending even after I did a uninstall/install for FSCopilot and FSInn..!!

Last thought; do you guys have a software program which I can run against FSInn to find the problem?

Thanks,

Dave Howell

Dave. You're certainly not a bug. I'm glad to help. You're using the best connection tool. It's very robust. I'm sure we can resolve whatever problem you're having. It at times take a few more than two messages. But I'm sure any issue you may have can be resolved in a few steps after a few messages.

Please bare with me and follow as close as you can the steps provided.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to follow the steps and provide feedback.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi,
Thanks, FSInn and Copilot have given me excellent service since 2007. I really like the programs!
Will let you know how it goes...

DaveH

Dave
03-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi
I went to Control Panel and uninstalled both programs. Then I went to Apollo home page and reinstalled both programs FSCopilot first.
Came up on Vatsim OK but, again, no luck connecting VVL; still "Pending".

Before this I did restart Widows Firewall and SBC Antivirus. By the way, I do have a router, am I supposed to open a specific port for FSInn communications?

DaveH

L. D. James
03-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi
I went to Control Panel and uninstalled both programs. Then I went to Apollo home page and reinstalled both programs FSCopilot first.
Came up on Vatsim OK but, again, no luck connecting VVL; still "Pending".

Before this I did restart Widows Firewall and SBC Antivirus. By the way, I do have a router, am I supposed to open a specific port for FSInn communications?

DaveH

Under normal circumstances FSInn will work with most routers by their defaults. You don't have to configure any ports. However, there are some exceptions based on the settings on some routers. You're might be that exception.

We probably could quickly check this by by-passing the router if you know how to do that.

As far as ports, try these ports and let me know the results of each. I'll update the FAQ with this finding.

6809 TCP Aircraft position updates and general network data Outgoing - generally no forwarding needed.
3782 TCP+UDP Voice communications Outgoing - generally no forwarding needed.
3290 UDP Voice communications MUST be forwarded through your router!

Again, it's hard for me to test this because on all the machines and routers I've used it everything worked without any forwarding. If doesn't for some people, so I'm depending on the feedback I get from the ones who needs this configuration.

Thanks in advance for the followup results.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Hi,
Great news!!!!
The adding 3 ports to router and windows firewall worked!!!!
At LAX, I switched between Gnd and Tower freq's with no problem.
I even closed out FS9 and brought it up again, connected to Vatsim and tuned in Gnd and Tower again with no problems.
I guess ports were the problem.
I still have to go to SBC/ATT and download my virus program again. Will add the ports to it too.

Thanks Loads :):):)!!!
DaveH

L. D. James
03-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi,
Great news!!!!
The adding 3 ports to router and windows firewall worked!!!!
At LAX, I switched between Gnd and Tower freq's with no problem.
I even closed out FS9 and brought it up again, connected to Vatsim and tuned in Gnd and Tower again with no problems.
I guess ports were the problem.
I still have to go to SBC/ATT and download my virus program again. Will add the ports to it too.

Thanks Loads :):):)!!!
DaveH

It's a pleasure. Thanks for taking the time to test the steps and validating the need for the ports which will be immediately added to the FAQ.

I'm curious. Did you test out the ports individually and learn that the only combination that worked was all three ports?

I'm still wondering why blocking the ports on my system doesn't stop communications.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Dave
03-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi,
No I didn't check out the individual ports, just added all three. I do have access to a port check site thru IYP but for some reason the 3 ports did not show up on the list the software was checking. If I get the chance I will check out the individual ports...

Thanks Again,
DaveH
:)

L. D. James
03-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi,
No I didn't check out the individual ports, just added all three. I do have access to a port check site thru IYP but for some reason the 3 ports did not show up on the list the software was checking. If I get the chance I will check out the individual ports...

Thanks Again,
DaveH
:)

Thanks. I added the three ports to the FAQ. I guess I'll have to wait for someone else to have the problem and probably give them one port at a time to single out the specific port necessary. I'll also keep experimenting to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Thanks again for the feedback and contribution to the database of resolutions. I'm glad you were patient for the systematic approach to first verify the default setup sequence wouldn't work in your case so that it would become absolute that the router configuration was a requirement.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames