X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo
    started a topic FSD and mysql

FSD and mysql

Firstly hello to all the other flightsim enthusiasts.

I've been using flightsims for around ten years or so and currently manage an FSD setup for a group I like to fly with.

My question...

I have a linux fsd server setup on a raspberry pi.

The pi has apache, php and mysql installed.

I can create a sign up page on my apache server in which to write data into the mysql database.

But can I point fsd to read the database instead of the cert.txt?

Any help is appreciated.

Roo

• L. D. James
    replied
    I'll be fixing the Download links by this weekend.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Leave a comment:

• Roo
    replied
    In that case I will have to look again at FSDBase.

Thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• L. D. James
    replied
    Fsdbase includes all the features you mentioned plus more… multiple servers in different locations, user details, change user permissions on the fly, suspend user.

-- L. D. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Leave a comment:

• Roo
    replied
    I did look at the fsdbase a while ago, but can't remember why I didn't use it.

Would one fsdbase serve multiple FSD servers in different locations?
    Or would each fsd server need it's own fsdbase?

I'll be honest I don't have much time lately and I'm just tweaking a setup of 4 fsd servers, that otherwise run perfectly together.

Using a database to store user details was only an idea I thought about recently.

One thing that would be helpful is an admin Web based or client program able to change user permissions on the fly.

Currently this is done by usng putty through the Telnet interface on our network.
    But that can be time consuming and awkward for those admin not familure with Telnet.

If there were a way to login to somewhere as an admin, (maybe display a list of online users)select an unruly user CID and click a button to suspend, that may be easier.

Does fsdbase offer something similar?

Leave a comment:

• L. D. James
    replied
    Our Fsdbase program actually does what you described. It's running on my server. I never did post the last update (from some time ago). I'll take a look at it, test it on a new machine to verify that it should install without problems and update the link to it.

You could also consider downloading the lasted one posted and test it and advise me if you have problems with it. While checking the new version, I'll focus on any problems you have with the current one.

It does have the ability to update the base from your current certs.text file. It also has the ability for you to manually add users, or allow the users to add themselves.

By the way, which forum software are you running? I can add an option to import data from the forum's database of which can be updated to the certs file. Of course that's also something you could do with the current database you have.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Leave a comment:

• Roo
    replied
    I'll explore implanting mysql although I'm not very experienced with it, only using it to manage forum users in the past.

I'd be grateful of your help if you do get chance to look.

The reasons I'm exploring this route is that we run a number of servers for our users to connect to.

If they could all read the same database that could bring in redundancy if one were to go down.

It would also be nice to have the option to read a database that already has member details.
    For instance our forum database.
    Members would then already have a CID for FSD if they had signed up to our website.

Leave a comment:

• L. D. James
    replied
    Your Welcome.

You probably could edit the source to implement the mysql support. I'll have to look for it if you need it.

For my system, I just sync the cert file. Since each entry has unique ID that's their entry in the mysql database. The mysql database has other features such as email and message support for the users.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Leave a comment:

• Roo
    replied
    Thank you.

I already have a sign up page that writes to the cert.txt.
    And I use a crontab to back that up to an external drive incase something happens.
    So the way you suggested makes sense.

I just thought holding everything in a database with no .txt file may have been more secure?

Could I maybe place an edit in the program itself?

Great work on FSD by the way.
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• L. D. James
    replied
    A work around would be to write a crontab or service script to read sync the cert.txt and your mysql database.

By the way, welcome to the system!

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Leave a comment:

Working...
X