X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-plane 10 on Ubuntu

Hi James.
    Question.
    We spoke in another thread on start using Ubuntu for my main pc. I've now used a vmware installation to test the ubuntu 13.10 desktop version. It looks good but before I actually throw win7 out the window I do need to be sure I understand everything and that everything is as good as possible supported.

Most important one is X-plane.
    I've requered a version 10 of X-plane and am trying to install this. I tried using the explenation from the xplane wiki (http://wiki.x-plane.com/Linux_Instal...dows_or_Mac_OS)
    but I seem to be lost somewhere. Mostely because it's I think for X-plane9 and perhaps not ubuntu 13 (yet).

Perhaps you can guide me a little bit in this case?
    So provide me with some basic steps to install x-plane10 on Ubuntu desktop. Perhaps also the vmware is a restriction so perhaps I can only test it via an actual installation, but lets first see if I can get it running.
    Thanks for your help.
    Lex

Originally posted by the whaler View Post
    Hi James.
    Question.
    We spoke in another thread on start using Ubuntu for my main pc. I've now used a vmware installation to test the ubuntu 13.10 desktop version. It looks good but before I actually throw win7 out the window I do need to be sure I understand everything and that everything is as good as possible supported.

Most important one is X-plane.
    I've requered a version 10 of X-plane and am trying to install this. I tried using the explenation from the xplane wiki (http://wiki.x-plane.com/Linux_Instal...dows_or_Mac_OS)
    but I seem to be lost somewhere. Mostely because it's I think for X-plane9 and perhaps not ubuntu 13 (yet).

Perhaps you can guide me a little bit in this case?
    So provide me with some basic steps to install x-plane10 on Ubuntu desktop. Perhaps also the vmware is a restriction so perhaps I can only test it via an actual installation, but lets first see if I can get it running.
    Thanks for your help.
    Lex
    X-Plane 10 is 100% compatible with Ubuntu. It's totally compatibility with all the versions.

It can use a lot of resources if you have it. I get better performance with X-Plane 10 in Linux than I got with FSX in Windows on the same native machine.

It's possible to turn down features with X-Plane 10, just as you could do the same with FSX. I believe have most of the features turned up substantially high and get good performance and FPS.

If you're having problems it might have to do with your trying to run it in a Virtual Box.

You might consider adding a hard drive or partition so that you can actually boot to Ubuntu and have access to the full resources.

I would like to reiterate in this thread as I mentioned in the other one, that having Linux (especially Ubuntu) as the main OS is substantially better. You loose a lot by making Windows your boot OS and trying to run the powerful Linux through that bottleneck.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljame

Comment

Thanks James
      Unfortunately I don't have a spare HD laying around to at least try it first.
      I know via wmWare is not 100% proof but at least I can learn something without really stopping all my options via windows.

For instance Java.
      I've downloaded the Java jre file but how to intall it? just download it but then what?
      There's no guidence as far as I can see in the download nor on the java website. Maybe I'm not searching good enouph but that's what I've had problems with in the past with Linux and I was hoping it would be easier now.
      But it's too late now so I will try again tomorrow
      Lex

Comment

Thanks James
        Unfortunately I don't have a spare HD laying around to at least try it first.
        I know via wmWare is not 100% proof but at least I can learn something without really stopping all my options via windows.

For instance Java.
        I've downloaded the Java jre file but how to intall it? just download it but then what?
        There's no guidence as far as I can see in the download nor on the java website. Maybe I'm not searching good enouph but that's what I've had problems with in the past with Linux and I was hoping it would be easier now.
        But it's too late now so I will try again tomorrow
        Lex
        I mentioned add hard drive, but I didn't really mean spare. I understand how stuck you (like most people) are on Windows, and how much you think you can't live without it. But there is a lot of computing world outside Windows. It'll be very hard for you to see the potential unless you actually go into it as a primary OS.

I understand what a tall order this is, and how unlikely, but it's worth some consideration.

I said add, HD or partition (on the same hard drive)... not spare. I don't know how you have partitioned your hard drive. Very few people partition their hard drive into one big partition. There's a good chance that you already have unpartitioned space where you could actually install Linux. But as I mentioned, using it as a program through Windows would leave a lot to be desired... especially when you consider running something very graphical like X-Plane.

Again, Linux is much easier to use than Windows. People think it's harder because they have already gotten used to something that is very hard to use, and think they would have to go over the what they went through in learning Windows, to use Linux.

Most of what you can imagine is available via the software center.

To install Java, just click on the Launch button and type "Software" into the search field and the first thing on the list would be the "Software Center".

Bring that up and click the search field for "java". Click on the latest versin (Version 7) and in a few minutes it'll be installed.

Then, just use it. I can't imagine it being simpler. The same way you do that for Java you could do the same for just about anything else.

It would hardly be so easy for me to give a new Windows person such simple steps to install software.

If you were doing all this with the full performance of your hardware, it would be substantially incredible. But doing it in a clunky system which doesn't use all the hardware (it doesn't use all the ram you could put into your computer), leaves a lot to be desired.

-- L. James

--
        L. D. James
        ljames@apollo3.com
        www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Hi James.
          Thanks for your help. I found the problem.
          Just needed to do a correct search on Google to find what I needed. 13.10 indeed is a little bit more tricky to install X-Plane on because of some lib changes. So with the help it's now installing as I write this.

I'm by the way only doing it this way just so I can learn a little bit. One reason that I indeed am a little bit windows stuck is that a couple of years back (perhaps already 6/7) i actually tried to change to ubuntu but was indeed held back due to lack of support on hardware and software.

but your right about it being a very good distribution in itself.
          Well I keep you posted.
          Lex

Comment

Hi James.
            Thanks for your help. I found the problem.
            Just needed to do a correct search on Google to find what I needed. 13.10 indeed is a little bit more tricky to install X-Plane on because of some lib changes. So with the help it's now installing as I write this.

I'm by the way only doing it this way just so I can learn a little bit. One reason that I indeed am a little bit windows stuck is that a couple of years back (perhaps already 6/7) i actually tried to change to ubuntu but was indeed held back due to lack of support on hardware and software.

but your right about it being a very good distribution in itself.
            Well I keep you posted.
            Lex
            I'm very curious as to what problem you had with 13.10, concerning the tricky for install.

I never experienced any, not even the slightest install problem. I don't experience an extremely steep learning curb when trying to learn X-Plane over FSX, of which I do a lot of research with. But the install, I found, just like everything else, to be extremely simply and intuitive... much more than the problems that people always had when trying to install FSX.

I'm curious with what you had to do over just placing the disk, running the install an changing disk when prompted.

Thanks in advance for the info.

By the way, lots of people say they need Windows because of some hardware they have. For me, if I had a printer that didn't work under Linux, I'd ditch that printer and that brand. I'd do it for any other hardware. To me it would be cheaper to buy a new $200.00 printer, rather than renting Windows and Microsoft Office for $500.00 every couple of years (of which I used to do).

As far as support, I'll be glad to put up a Ubuntu support forum to assist in getting any of your transition issues quickly addressed.

I hope to wake up the public to this knowledge so that the hardware manufacturers will follow. Too many people are buying into Windows because some manufacturer like Lexmark won't provide generic drivers or support to the Linux community to develop the drivers by them providing some API.

I believe many people make a serious financial mistake by thinking they are locked into Windows. It might not be so bad to use it as an alternative to the efficiency of Linux. But people would benefit by realizing they are not actually locked in to it as a necessity.

-- L. James

--
            L. D. James
            ljames@apollo3.com
            www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Hi James,
              Like I said it was long ago that I tried ubuntu (let alone x-plane under ubuntu).

I found the following link
              http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?...r-ubuntu-1310/
              which guided me through the installation for some extra libraries for ubuntu 1310. Maybe I should have used the 12.04 ubuntu but well if ou upgrade go to the latest available I think.

As it's in german you might have problems reading it but being from the netherlands I had German in school wich gives me an advantage perhaps

When I had the libraries installed ther ewas noproblem with x-plane anymore.

Lex

Comment

Hi James,
                Like I said it was long ago that I tried ubuntu (let alone x-plane under ubuntu).

I found the following link
                http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?...r-ubuntu-1310/
                which guided me through the installation for some extra libraries for ubuntu 1310. Maybe I should have used the 12.04 ubuntu but well if ou upgrade go to the latest available I think.

As it's in german you might have problems reading it but being from the netherlands I had German in school wich gives me an advantage perhaps

When I had the libraries installed ther ewas noproblem with x-plane anymore.

Lex
                Oh yea. I'm familiar with that issue. Developers mix 32 bit and 64 bit libraries and there are commands to compensate. I'm so familiar with this issue that I usually resolve it without even noticing I have run into a glitch.

If you had specified the error message (library not found error) I would have recognized it in the original message and given you the resolution.

Thanks for clarifying the problem. I didn't experience it in any of my installations because I had already applied the fix while working with something different.

As you can see, the developers have already put the fixes into the repositories to make it easily resolved with a quick "apt-get" commandline.

-- L. James

--
                L. D. James
                ljames@apollo3.com
                www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Working...
                X