Manual Virus Scan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual Virus Scan

I did a full manual virus scan and it comes up with the following results on one and there were more. I would like to know if "system volume information" file can be deleted without any harm to my computer? Is it part of a necessary important file because they were skip over and the next scan is just going to bring these same files below up again so in that case i need know beforehand? thank you.

I did a virus scan and it came up with these 2 files: (C:\System Volume Information\_restore{323E5B64-1351-4CA2-9417-A44B336D33D0}\RP176\A0016855.sys) as
    Malware: JS:Seeker-Gen - Virus/Worm

Please let me know if I can delete this file?

Unless you have a very special file, maybe something that you had created yourself that means something very special to you, you should allow the antivirus program to do its job.

An example of something that you might want to have second thoughts about might be a document that has information that you absolutely need. You might try to recover your information before deleting the file. The file above clearly isn't something you particularly created and want to keep.

Of course, pay attention to which antivirus program is giving you this advice. If you clicked on some web link that was faking being an antivirus program, clicking on their instructions may give undesired results. You didnít mention which antivirus program you ran the full scan with.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Originally posted by L. D. James View Post
      Unless you have a very special file, maybe something that you had created yourself that means something very special to you, you should allow the antivirus program to do its job.

An example of something that you might want to have second thoughts about might be a document that has information that you absolutely need. You might try to recover your information before deleting the file. The file above clearly isn't something you particularly created and want to keep.

Of course, pay attention to which antivirus program is giving you this advice. If you clicked on some web link that was faking being an antivirus program, clicking on their instructions may give undesired results. You didnít mention which antivirus program you ran the full scan with.

-- L. James

--
      L. D. James
      ljames@apollo3.com
      www.apollo3.com/~ljames

This was full thorough scan done by "Avast" and it came up with 3 by (C:\System Volume Information\_restore{323E5B64-1351-4CA2-9417-A44B336D33D0}\RP176\A0016855.sys) as

this is part of the program upgrade you did on my computer. So, i don't kow if this can be "OK" to be deleted? Is system volume information important file? let me know?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_Christina View Post
        This was full thorough scan done by "Avast" and it came up with 3 by (C:\System Volume Information\_restore{323E5B64-1351-4CA2-9417-A44B336D33D0}\RP176\A0016855.sys) as

this is part of the program upgrade you did on my computer. So, i don't kow if this can be "OK" to be deleted? Is system volume information important file? let me know?
        How are you doing, Christina. Yes. I know what I put on the computer. However, like in the case of the mail program you use, I canít always go by what I actually install. Also in the case of manually scanning, I have some customers that actually download and scan their computer with other programs that pretend to be cleaning the computer and the programs themselves are the virus. I had four of my clients recently bring their computers in because they had run some program called Antivirus 2009. It was very hard to completely remove it.

So, I consider specifying the actually antivirus program that the client happens to run to be pertinent information. There was a time when I used to install Norton as the preference. I believe you always opted to remove that one and replace it with Trend Micro.

In this case, since you mentioned itís Avast that you actually ran, Iím confident that it will do a great job and as I mentioned before, I strongly advise deleting all questionable files.

In the case of the file it detected above, some program apparently had installed itself into the autobackup area. Itís great that Avast checked that area also. If it stayed there, it would restore itself if you deleted it. Avast is diligently removing all traces of it so that it canít morph back.

-- L. James

--
        L. D. James
        ljames@apollo3.com
        www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Working...
        X