X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Best Programs

Linux Best Programs

In view of my strong recommendation that people switch to and give support to the Linux community over the very expensive alternatives (the rental of Microsoft’s environment and the expensive propriety of the Mac) I'm publishing a list of what I consider important components of the OS for everyone.

You may respond to this thread with questions about the program, or suggestions of your own of which the list may change or add.

Internet Browser Chrome
    Chromium
    Firefox (Doesn't have the latest Adobe Flash version/support)
    DVD Mastering Bombono
    Binary/hex editor Ghex
    Programming IDE Eclipse
    Web Design Blue Griffon
    Graphics Editor GIMP
    Drawing Inkscape
    Pinta
    Accounting GnuCash
    Video Editing kdenlive
    dvgrab (for firewire)
    Movie Player vlc
    Audio Recording/Editing Audacity
    Video capture (Hardware) Dazzle
    Note: This page will be periodically editing to correct grammar, choice of words, and formatting.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    Last edited by L. D. James; 08-02-2016, 01:17 PM.

programms

i havent been used linux OS's for too long so my knowledge is limited about the best programs. I have been using Firefox and Chromium for browsing the web. I like all the add-ons you can use with Firefox, and I Chromium might be useful because it lets you tap more easily into some of the google-developed web tools.

From the list above the only program that I've used is Audacity. I used it for basic editing of some MP3's and I found it relatively easy to use taking into account all the features it offers.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by agalindo View Post
      i havent been used linux OS's for too long so my knowledge is limited about the best programs. I have been using Firefox and Chromium for browsing the web. I like all the add-ons you can use with Firefox, and I Chromium might be useful because it lets you tap more easily into some of the google-developed web tools.

From the list above the only program that I've used is Audacity. I used it for basic editing of some MP3's and I found it relatively easy to use taking into account all the features it offers.

cheers
      Good catch, Alejandro. I made a mistake and left out a recommended browser. My favorite browser is Opera. However, I don't recommended it as strong as I recommend Firefox because it has some features that might appear complex to many people.

Also, Opera isn't as supported as Firefox.

I used Chromium before Opera. I had problems with it in the past. Google Chrome resolved the problems. I don't know if the problems I had still exit. I don't recall exactly what they were.

I believe Firefox is the most supported browse, as I mentioned. Google Chrome is catching up with it, if it hasn't past it already.

Google chrome has some serious very serious problems. I'll make a mention of the details in another message.

At present, since Adobe dropped flash support for Linux (releasing updates), the only way you can be sure to have the latest flash is to use Chrome or Chromium.

I'm updating the best programs list to include the ones you suggested for now.

I hadn't installed Chromium for a long time. But I installed it while writing this response.

I'll comment on the issues I have with Google chrome later.

Thanks for the contribution!

-- L. James

--
      L. D. James
      ljames@apollo3.com
      www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

A nice list James.
        I haven't been behind the pc a lot lately as you might have noticed so I haven't done much about my linux build and respective xplane.

I wonder what you would recommend for use as virtual machine host. The one I get directely via Ubuntu doesn't give good video support and vmware is quit expensive I think. The reason I'm asking is that although I want to switch to Linux some of the games I still play (like Terraria which I do with my son sometimes) only plays on windows machines. But it wont play using the build in virtual host of Ubuntu.
        Perhaps you know of a better alternative.

Thanks.
        Lex

Comment

Originally posted by L. D. James View Post
          Linux Best Programs

Internet Browser:
          Chromium
          Firefox (Doesn't have the latest Adobe Flash version/support)

DVD Mastering:
          Bombono

Binary/hex editor:
          Ghex

Programming IDE:
          Eclipse

Web Design:
          Blue Griffon

Graphics Editor:
          GIMP

Drawing:
          Inkscape
          Pinta

Accounting:
          GnuCash

Video:
          kdenlive
          dvgrab (for firewire)

Movie Player:
          vlc

Audio Recording/Editing:
          Audacity

Hardware:
          Video capture:
          Dazzle

Note: This page will be perodically editing to correct grammar, choice of word and formating.

-- L. James

--
          L. D. James
          ljames@apollo3.com
          www.apollo3.com/~ljames
          Granted this about linux, but some programs are multi platform so making the transition from one OS to the next isn't going to hurt.

Browser: Opera or built in browser. (Firefox has become to heavy and is quickly becoming the next IE or netscape).

DVD: NA (never had the need for dvd's)

Binary/Hex editor: Never needed this so no idea

Programming IDE: Depends on the language. Eclipse is wildly popular.

Web design: Sorry guys, I keep it all basic round my place. Notepad++

Graphics Editor: Gimp

Drawing: Not good at it, don't use it

Accounting: Paper, pen, and calculator

Video Editing: Avidemux

Video Player: VLC

Audio Recording/Editing: Audacity

And now for something completely different and why I switch between OS's:

Windows:
          Internet: Opera
          DVD: N/A (don't author dvd's)
          Binary: Don't use it
          Programming IDE: Don't use it
          Web Design: Notepad ++ & phpdesigner
          Graphics: Coral Paint Shop Pro X6 64-bit
          Drawing: See graphics
          Accounting: Same as nix
          Video: Complicated (GoPro Cineform, Cyberlink Suite, Fraps, VLC, Bink and Smacker(w/divx))
          Movie Player: VLC
          CentOS 5.7 Ameature | CentOS 6 Novice | PHP Novice

Comment

Originally posted by BBuchanan View Post

Granted this about linux, but some programs are multi platform so making the transition from one OS to the next isn't going to hurt.

Browser: Opera or built in browser. (Firefox has become to heavy and is quickly becoming the next IE or netscape).

DVD: NA (never had the need for dvd's)

Binary/Hex editor: Never needed this so no idea

Programming IDE: Depends on the language. Eclipse is wildly popular.

Web design: Sorry guys, I keep it all basic round my place. Notepad++

Graphics Editor: Gimp

Drawing: Not good at it, don't use it

Accounting: Paper, pen, and calculator

Video Editing: Avidemux

Video Player: VLC

And now for something completely different and why I switch between OS's:

Windows:
            Internet: Opera
            DVD: N/A (don't author dvd's)
            Binary: Don't use it
            Programming IDE: Don't use it
            Web Design: Notepad ++ & phpdesigner
            Graphics: Coral Paint Shop Pro X6 64-bit
            Drawing: See graphics
            Accounting: Same as nix
            Video: Complicated (GoPro Cineform, Cyberlink Suite, Fraps, VLC, Bink and Smacker(w/divx))
            Movie Player: VLC
            You're right about the multi platforms. This is true of most Linux programs. The multi platforms really is the way to go. The problem with Windows and Mac is that they try so hard to have priority programs only for their platforms... most likely to make the user depend on their OS to function.

I used to look at Opera as my preferred Browser. I had to drop it a couple of years ago because they released a version that didn't have book marks. They dropped the book marks feature for something they refer to as "Speed Dial". There was an argument on their support site where the developer dismissed the merit of Bookmarks... he couldn't see a used for i over the Speed dial screen. I have thousands of bookmarks. I would be very handicapped not to be able to search through and sort my many bookmarks and categories.

By the way, I revisited Opera while typing this message. It appears that they the bookmarks back. I believe it's a great browser and I'm adding it back to the list.

I just installed it back on my android. I had a bad tease when I couldn't find it. Research on the internet shows the brought it back in 2014 (two years after I stopped using it). It not easy to find if you don't know where to look. It turns out it's one of the icons on the speed dial.

I understand your references to the programs that you don't use and feel that you don't have a use for. The list is for general users with applications that will fulfill most people computering needs. Actually I believe you you crossed some off the list that could enrich your computer environment. Some of the details I look forward to sharing with time.

As far as the "something different" I believe you could find a either the application or a Linux equivalence that would work better... just a matter of taking the time to get used to it.

I prefer Gimp over Photo Shop. I didn't when I first started using it. But the more I used it them more I found how to the features I needed. The same goes for LibreOffice over Microsoft Office. There's a learning curb involved. Many people stop and go back to what they are familiar with before they get evolved enough to see the ease.

For me learning Gimp was very much worth my time. It also saves me a few hundred dollars every couple of years.

-- L. James

--
            L. D. James
            ljames@apollo3.com
            www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Comment

Working...
            X